નાદબ્રહ્મ પદ - ૫૮૫, રાગ - ઋષિકેશ સામેરી
Nādbrahma pada 585, rāga - rishikesh sāmeri
ઝુલત શ્યામ રે, મન અભિરામ મદન ગોપાલ;
રસ ઝુલાવહી કુંજ કુંજ, મિલી વ્રજ બાલા;
મધુર ધૂની બાજહી, મુખ ચંગ તાલ મૃદંગહી;
સબ મિલી ગાવહી, રસરંગ સરસ સુગંધ હી ... ટેક
jhulat shyām re, man abhi-rām madan gopāl
ras jhulāv-hi kuňj kuňj mili vraj bālā
madhur dhuni bāj-hi, mukh chaňg tāl mru-daňg-hi
sab mili gāv-hi, ras-raňg saras sugaňdh hi ... repeat
રસ રંગ સરસ સુગંધ ગાવે, પ્રેમ મગ્ન રસ ભરી;
કોકિલા સુર મધુરી બાની, અંગોઅંગ છબી રચી રહી ... ૧
ras raňg saras sugaňdh gāve, prem magna ras bhari
kokilā sur madhuri bāni, aňgo-aňg chhabi rachi rahi ... 1
નીલ પીત દોઉ કુલ રાજીત, દામિની ધન શાલા;
ઋષિકેશ પ્રભુ દાસ ઝુલે, શ્યામ મદન ગોપાલ ... ૨
nil pit do-u kul rājit, dāmini dhan shālā
rushi-kesh prabhu dās jhule, shyām madan gopāl ... 2
1. Shree Ramkabir Mandir Bhajan Mandal - September 2, 2010, Janmashtami
[Although the concept of Rasa, literally means, 'juice, essence or taste', it connotes a concept in Indian arts about the aesthetic flavor of any visual, literary or musical work, evoking some emotion or feeling, but cannot be described. Thus, Rasas are created by bhava, meaning the state of mind. Bharat Muni, the exponent of Natrya Shastra - Scriptures of Dramatics describes varying human moods as Nine Rasa.*
According to the Rasa theory of the Natya Shastra, entertainment is not the primary goal of performance arts but, it's the primary goal is to transport the soul of an individual into another parallel reality, full of wonder and bliss, where one experiences the essence of one's own consciousness, and reflects on spiritual and moral questions. The notion of rasa extended into spiritual, abstract, and even metaphysical realms.
The poet, Rishikesh has portrayed Lila of Krishna and Radha in vivid narrative intertwined with nature's splendor evoking aesthetic experience of love and union with loved one.]
0. Young handsome Shyam, also fondly called Madan Gopal, rocking on the swing renders joyous image of within our minds. Jiggling and giggling and moving through the flowery groves and boulevards, the petite Vruj lassies add air of romance to romantic the spring. Lively melodies harmonically rendered on foot tapping rhythmic percussions beats of tambourine and Mridang, have made the Gopis and Gops alike to dance gaily, as the fragrant air stimulates romantic ardor.
Such is the magnetic effect of the season of Spring that not only the poetic narratives of romance are widely available in the Indian languages, English poets too are not far behind in giving words to expression of love and romantic fervor.
1. All the elements of the nature, be, it in the form of spirit, color, flavor and love, are all vividly expressed in the singing and dancing of Gopis lost engrossed the worship of their lord, Krishna. Not to be left behind, cooing cuckoos too, sing in praise, as every expression of passionate romance is manifested through every part of the body.
2. Attired in Blue and yellow colors, union of Radha and Krishna seem like a union of Earth with blues of the Sky. Attainment of spiritual enlightenment happens in a flash as bright flash of lightning. Describing the spiritual state of the soul dedicated to the worship of God, poet Rishikesh says, Love for Shyam Madan Gopal affection for the Supreme Soul, is like rocking on the spiritual swing.
*For the interest of the readers in general and specifically for those interested in performance arts the Nine Rasa are listed below, with their specific meaning, Deity, Color.
1. Shringar (શૃંગાર): Romance, Love, attractiveness. Presiding Deity: Vishnu. Color: light green
2. Haasya (હાસ્ય): Laughter, mirth, comedy. Presiding Deity: Shiva. Color: white
3. Raudra (રૌદ્ર) Fury, anger. Presiding Deity: Shiva. Color: red
4. Kaaruṇya (કારુણ્ય): Compassion, sorrow, mercy. Presiding Deity: Yama. Color: grey
5. Bibhatsa (બિભત્સ) Disgust, aversion. Presiding Deity: Shiva. Color: blue
6. Bhayaanaka (ભયાનક) Horror, fear, terror. Presiding Deity: Yama. Color: black
7. Veera (વીર, ઉત્સાહ) Heroism. enthusiasm. Presiding Deity: Indra. Color: saffron
8. Adbhut (અદ્ભુત, વિસ્મય): Wonder, amazement. Presiding Deity: Brahma. Color: yellow
9. Shaanta (શાંત) Peace or tranquility. Deity: Vishnu. Color: perpetual white.
The ninth rasa was added by later authors.